Dec 27, 2022
Gail Carriger and Piper J. Drake discuss how they
are updating their author business strategies moving forward and
how that impacts travel.
But first! Where has Gail been?
Gail went to Wild Wild West con this past year. She was reminded
that the desert can get quite cold, depending on time of
She had to take the risk and pack a large checked-bag.
One of the delights of a steampunk event - really fun masks!
Gail's Business Considerations:
- split between cons with high costume packing needs versus
teaching engagements / writing retreats
- packing the backup outfit in your carry-on
- the value of including a QR code on your swag/merchandise
- always have a physical newsletter sign up page with pen,
and include the QR code to newsletter sign up on the physical sign
up sheet for those who like to sign up digitally
- Redoing all the travel kits to accommodate must-bring
technology: a travel blood pressure device and wearing an Oura ring
to monitor heart rate, plus increased daily medications
- New vertical banner design. Compact, but adds weight, which
means checked luggage.
- Planning packed luggage weight for economy class (about 50lbs)
versus the frequent flyer status privileges (First Class about
- Signage with QR code to purchase books digitally
- Piper will be using a signature stamp from now on for all book
signings and events, due to her medical challenges. Piper is
considering investing in event-exclusive signature stamps.
– – –
Special thanks to Kelly for editing
Thanks for listening. Travel smart. Pack the snacks!
– – –
Get your question featured on an episode by saying hi on social
Use the hashtag: