Aug 29, 2022
Gail Carriger and Piper J. Drake discuss travel by
sea as Piper prepares to board a cruise again for the first time in
But first! Where have Gail and Piper been?
Gail and Piper had a small writing retreat together in Vegas,
while BTS was in Vegas for concert performances, and the two of
them did not go to the concerts or even interact with the "Vegas
Experience" - they wrote. A lot. And they ate a lot of food, mostly
from off the strip, particularly some very good Thai food.
Travel by Sea - Tips, Tricks, and
- Piper prefers the larger cruise ships, because she is less
effected by motion sickness on these
- Writing Excuses Writing Workshop and Retreat on Royal Caribbean
- Food - all the food - any time.
- As long as food is not wasted, order all the entrees! All the
- Piper and Gail often get dishes to share so they can enjoy more
variety without getting too full
- Piper tends to avoid the crowds and only goes to the pools and
hot tubs on port days when most other passengers are off the
- But! Take into consideration health and safety protocols
- There's something to be said about everything taken care of for
you (especially food), so you can focus on writing
- Gail has experience with shorter cruises on river boats and
- Gail is a tour group guide's nightmare, because she will
inevitably wander away from the group
- Both agree writers are tour guide nightmares when it comes to
random, chaotic questions
- Both also agree cruise ships are great setting inspiration for
space ships or murder mysteries
Gail's Gadget Pick!
- Travel Chopsticks: aluminum, screw-together, portable
chopsticks like these
Piper's Gadget Pick!
- Portable Charger (not a power strip) - extra powerful with 2x
USB-C and 2x USB-A ports like this Razer Wall Charger. Note: This
is not a battery pack.
– – –
Special thanks to Kelly for editing
Thanks for listening. Travel smart. Pack the snacks!
– – –
Get your question featured on an episode by saying hi on social
Use the hashtag: